Monday, October 17, 2011

Gift of God


I didn’t see it at first, it strangely seemed out of place, it shouldn’t have, this was a funeral after all.  We were running a bit late, the boys and I, and the only place available to sit was near the front of the sanctuary.  The boys looked so handsome in their Sunday best, we had talked about what was happening today, how they were expected to behave, what to anticipate, but I was the one who was unprepared.  I have been to many funerals and memorials for family and dear friends. I have also witnessed death up close in my job as an RN, but I was caught of guard.  My eight year old son quietly whispered, “What is that mom?”  I had been so focused on trying to get us settled into our seats and making sure that they had something to occupy their little hands that I hadn’t noticed it.  I looked up to see what he was referring to and my heart lurched.   We all knew why we were there yet somehow I did not expect my reaction. I had remembered to bring tissues (something I have forgotten in the past) but the emotion was so much more than sadness.  My response was visceral and I instinctively put a reassuring arm around my little boy and gently whispered back to him, “that is the casket that holds little Nathaniel’s body but his soul is in heaven with Jesus.” My son gave me an understanding nod and returned his focus to the service.  As I sat there between my two children, looking at that tiny little casket, knowing that another mommy’s arms were aching for her son, I realized that I was utterly ill prepared for the waves of emotion that washed over me.
The short life of Nathaniel has touched countless people in immeasurable ways. The unwavering faith of his parents and family is a true illustration of love and conviction in the face of enormous pain and sorrow.  
~“For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.” ~John 3:16
That precious little boy is a witness of God’s eternal love.














No comments:

Post a Comment